jeudi 27 novembre 2014

How did Rome conquer her Empire?

Hi dear readers!

Today, I'm going to answer the big question that is burning you since my last post: How did Rome manage to conquer her Empire?

I'll sum it up in three points:


  • Military strategy:
Romans had an interesting recruitment strategy: Every years, recruiters looked for soldiers by the roman citizens and especially by the landowners. Why so? Because they thought soldiers who had  personal interests in defending Roman territories (or volunteers) where the ones who fight with ardor. Obviously, it turns out to be true!

The strict military discipline and organisation enabled fast mouvements and reactivity during battles.
Soldiers were split into three groups:

hastati: the youngest soldiers, in first lines
- principes: more experimented, in middle lines
- triarii: the oldest, in last lines or for back up

The management of Roman armies are certainly a good explanation of the Roman conquests but not the only argument...

  • Diplomatic strategy: 
The political model of Rome during the Republic, was very attractive for the neighboring nations because it permit a larger part of the population to have power, instead of just a governor.
Romans, aware of the popularity of their Republic, developed a diplomatic strategy to annex more nations without fighting. They came in cities and offered them to be part of their new successful nation. This cities seeing the rising Rome preferred to be part if it, beneficing the protection and political organisation of Rome. The perfect example is Capua witch directly offers her submission to Rome!


  • Roman culture:
The Roman culture was completely inspired by the Greeks, after the first struggle with them in the Pyrrhic War. The Roman lifestyle was very opulent and distracting, with lots of fountains, thermae (baths), games and villa. This was appealing for neighboring which wanted to access this rich culture. 
Reconstitution of a Gallo-Roman Amphitheater


Even if in our minds Romans get their Empire by winning wars and battles, their diplomatic strategy and cultural charisma played huge roles especially in the first conquests. 

Citations:
image www.parisculture.fr

6 commentaires:

  1. Hello Remi!

    Thank you for this article, it was really interesting and well written to me. As you, I’ve always been fascinated by the Roman Empire. Without computers or cell phones to communicate, they managed to conquer a large part of Europe, and all the lands around the Mediterranean. That’s quite impressive.
    I didn’t know about the army’s recruitment strategy, which was quite smart. The diplomatic strategy and the expansion of the roman culture are also showing how clever they were.
    I think the Roman Empire could still be a model for the current societies on some points, even if this society also had her own weaknesses.
    #12

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. I'd like to put a "like" on your comment but I can't, so I'm posting this:
      LIKE ;)
      Yes you're completely right Lucas, Roman civilization was very impressive (of course I think that, why would I be posting all this articles if not) and could be a good society to be inspired of for some point. Just look at the facts: right after the fall of the Empire, during the Middle Age, diseases and poverty increased in general.
      And yes Rome had weaknesses, a look at the end of the (occidental) Roman civilization with all the civil wars the and you're convinced!

      Supprimer
  2. Hi ID10! I won't be a sycophant and say that I'm fascinated by the Roman Empire because that would be a lie. But don't judge me people, let me go on! I think the way you present your articles make your subject interesting! Few history teachers can say they explained something without getting me asleep, but you did!
    I'm also impressed by how organised your post is, with the different strategies, and the culture... All this was great, and I think you are improving your blogger skills article by article!

    Don't hesitate to check out my articles as well!
    ID9

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. #correction for my own comment: the way you present your articles MAKES your subject interesting.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Hi Remi!

    It's one of the first time that I read your blog and you definitely got my attention. The roman civilization actually didn't interest me until I took a look at some of your posts. I like your little analysis of what has been done hundreds of years ago by romans to conquer the world. I learned lot of things. An other good point of your article is its structure: your text seems to be strictly organized like the roman army your talking about! :) Everything is well summed up. Anyway, it would have been nice to give some more examples in the part "diplomatic strategy", I mean names and facts. By example, it would be good to talk about some well knowned annexations! Beside that, I liked your post very much, keep writing this way!

    #11

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Hi great Gandhi!
    Just to answer your little question at the end of your comment.
    The most (diplomatic) known annexion of Rome is probably the one I put in my article: people of Capoue coming directly to Rome to propose by themselves to be part of their territories! I think it reveals a lot about the power and influence Rome had at this time.
    #10

    RépondreSupprimer